From helping you focus, deal with pain and fears to even strengthening your immune system there are numerous reasons why mediation can help your performance on and off the race course.
Try one of these apps for either a led meditation to listen to at bedtime, first thing in the morning, or even set a five minute timer during your work day to listen to focus on your breathing and positive affirmations.
AFL champion Brett Kirk, believes it was his daily meditation practice that helped him reach the pinnacle of the sport.
“It gives you great clarity. Footy is like life. It is a game of crazy chaos,” he said.
- An app designed to help people learn to meditate and live mindfully, with hundreds of themed sessions. There’s even one that you can do whilst running to keep your steps and mind light, free, and natural.
- Free basics, subscription $12.95/month or $94.99/year
- iOS, Android
Based on cognitive behavioral therapy, with daily tools to alleviate stress and anxiety. One of the features allows you to record your own verbal positive affirmation and the app will play it back to you repeatedly for a minute over a soothing soundscape of your choice, from ocean waves to city din to a cello suite.
- Free to download and use. The full access is $3.99/month or $29.99/year.
Guiding you through daily five-minute mental training sessions to help you perform your best. You can program in your event date and time and get precisely timed reminder pings for your final training sessions—plus a last-minute one-on-one text session with a live MC to prep.
Yoga Nidra is a deep relaxation practice from the Indian yoga tradition, ideal to listen to before going to sleep. Useful for study and work to bring clarity and focus and to release mental tension and manage insomnia.
- There’s a free light and paid version for longer led meditations, 10 min, 20 min and 30 minute versions
Evenflow is a mindfulness app combining meditation with therapeutic insights. There are over 100 meditations topics include mindful eating, relationships, career and gratitude.
- $9.99 a month, $74.99 a year, and $199.99 for lifetime.